Ambitious diversity and inclusion goals leave recruiters with quite the challenge. Because a more diverse and inclusive workforce starts with hiring candidates with different backgrounds, ages and genders. To do so, you’ll need to write inclusive job descriptions that a diverse group of candidates can understand and that can persuade them to apply. But that’s not as easy as it may sound. Often, job descriptions unintentionally have a more masculine tone of voice and are aimed at younger candidates. An augmented writing platform is what you’ll need here.
What role can an augmented writing platform play in recruitment? And how can it help you reach your D&I goals?
To reach a diverse group of candidates, you’ll need to write inclusive job descriptions. What do we mean by that? Basically, it comes down to writing job descriptions that appeal to everyone in your target group, regardless of their age, gender or background. What you’ll need to do is:
- Clearly write down the requirements of the role.
- Identify the correct pull factors—or in other words, identify what will persuade the applicant to apply.
- Make sure that there is always a correct diversity statement in the job description.
- Avoid age discrimination by using age-neutral words and phrases.
- Make sure your job descriptions are understandable and not too complex.
- Apply the rules outlined in the WCAG.
- Don’t use forbidden words.
- Use professional terms that apply to both sexes, such as nurse and teacher.
- Speak directly to the reader.
- Avoid stereotypes and combinations or associations. Using pink for women and blue for men is a good example of this.
Why do you need an augmented writing platform here? Because it’s not that easy to implement all the rules above every time you write a job description. And it’s not as easy as it seems to do it right.
An augmented writing platform in recruitment
An augmented writing platform can best be described as a technology that serves as a writing coach. So instead of having to implement the rules for inclusive writing yourself, an augmented writing platform can do this for you. Perhaps you’re excluding older people without even knowing it, or you’re using a more masculine tone of voice in your job descriptions. An augmented writing platform will point these things out to you and give you suggestions for a more inclusive tone of voice.
The Textmetrics augmented writing platform helps you create more diverse and inclusive job descriptions. Our platform uses algorithms based on artificial intelligence to read and analyze your content and provides you with real-time suggestions for improvements. It doesn’t replace you as a writer, but it does help you write more inclusive job descriptions that help you reach your company’s D&I goals.